Wednesday 21 September 2011

Savoury Muffins

I've never had savoury muffins before and thought they'd be a bit odd. But I am such a savoury girl. So I thought I'd go for it and make some cheese and spinach muffins. I don't know why I chose spinach as I live with 4 very picky boys. The other 1 and the girls enjoyed them but next time I'll re think the filling for next time. 




I followed this recipe in the humming bird bakery book but would make a few changes for when I make them next - 


30g butter
1/2 small red onion
360g plain flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
250g chedder cheese, grated
220ml whole milk
1 egg
130g baby spinach leaves


Preheat the oven at 170°C or Gas Mark 3.


Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then fry the onion until cooked. leave to cool. 


Put the flour,baking powder, cayenne and cheese in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the milk and egg together, then slowly pour into the flour mixture and beat with ta handheld electric whisk until all the ingredients are well mixed. (by this point, my mix was basically more like a dough than a mixture! I had to use my hands to mix it all in with the flour..)


Stir in the onion and spinach with a wooden spoon until evenly dispersed.


Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two third full and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until deep golden and the sponge bounces back when touched. (I had to ball together the ingredients to break it up into the cases. After doing it once, I now know I'd use my silicone cases make them and then put them in cases after they've been cooked as they get totally stuck) A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. (the masses of cheese make this hard to judge!) Leave the muffins to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. 


Success! 



Tom came over the day I made them and ate so many of them that I only got to try one right at the last moment. I think they worked out pretty well! You can really taste the Cayenne Pepper. Next time I'm going to make them with ham instead of spinach as they boys are fiends for cheese and ham toasties so therefore they can't use allergies and vegetables as their excuse not to try one!

Give them a go! They're surprisingly yummy and dead filling. 
Over and out! 
x  

No comments:

Post a Comment